Friday, October 8, 2010

Hi from Kona


Hi from Kona Hawaii. Thought I'd send a wee report.

Got here yesterday after about 19 hrs of travel, but through the wonders of time zone change it was only 6PM. The trip was good, better, and bad. Good was sitting next to a really cool native Hawaiian guy on the last leg of the trip who told me all about the history of the Islands, etc. Better was that he happened to have free beer tickets (maybe the best thing ever in my life!). Bad was that the security guard in LA airport dropped my laptop onto a cement floor (turns out it's not good for them).

It's beautiful here. Remember the pictures or movies you've seen of tropical paradises in the Pacific? This really is one. Although it makes me a little nervous that it's so volcanically active. Every time my bowels gurgle I do a double-take.

Today we spent wandering around the HUGE race expo. My god there are a lot of beautiful bikes (and other gear). It was impossible to resist buying some (not a bike though). The Kona Coffee is great, as are the smoothies (fresh tropical fruit - nice!)

The highlight of my day was participating in the Kona Underpants run (not making this up - check out http://www.slowtwitch.com/photos/Detailed/161.html ). I'm in the photos, although hard to pick out. Julie was, predictably, too prudish to participate (Baptist family, what are ya gonna do) but did enjoy chortling at me and watching a thousand fit men cavort in their underpants. There were fit women too but of course I did not notice them.

One thing that became immediately obvious today is that I'm currently the most homely and out of shape person in town. Once I leave it will be Joe the homeless alcoholic guy (who happens to run a 2:42 marathon and won his age group on the Ironman last year). But seriously, it's a crazy-fit bunch of people walking around town. Wowsa. As Vince would say, "It's a target-rich environment".

We swam in the ocean here today, which gave me a chance to practice my butterfly where nobody (but Julie) was there to watch and snicker (to answer your question - it still sucks). It is possible to swim with a plastic arm brace (although not well), and I figure I'll come home with a unique tan. It was wicked to swim in water so warm I have no desire for a wetsuit (even Julie doesn't need a wetsuit!)

Tomorrow is check-in day for Julie (this race is Saturday, not Sunday), so we're back into town for that. Will send another report tomorrow evening (Hawaii time, that would be middle-of-the-night for you all)

Peace all
Bighead

No comments:

Post a Comment