Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Greenwood; Kurt Stevenson

On Sunday 13 June I was off again for my third race in 3 weeks. The air force base at Greenwood was hosting a sprint triathlon, tri-a-tri and duathlon. Again, with my aversion to pool swims, and healing shoulder, I opted for the duathlon.

Following the 90 minute drive from home, I had enough time to warm up well and chat with some of the other racers. The sun was out, there was very little wind, and the temperature was starting to climb. And I forgot to bring a hat and sunscreen... oh well, I was not planning on being on course for very long.

The distances were certainly not conducive to my best abilities... 5k/20k/5k... definitely a runners race with a short bike thrown in. The run was 2 out and back loops of 2.5k through the base. The bike was 3 loops of out and back on some really flat, smooth roads. I guess it is normally quite windy, but there was very little present today. My “strategy” was to limit the damage on the first run and stay as close to Alan Miner as possible (he is running really well); hammer the bike; and hope for the best on the second run.

As the gun fired, we all took off. Alan quickly shot to the front (his strategy was to obviously put as much distance between him and me!) while I settled in to what I felt I could handle “tolerably”. Ian Lougheed was also with me for about the first 1.5k, but he quickly dropped off the back. The rest of the first run was uneventful. Time of Run 1: 20:26. 2 into T1, and about 45 seconds back of first.

A quick change onto the bike, and I went into “chase” mode, catching Alan by the midway point of the ride. I continued to ride hard, keeping with the race plan, and entered T2 with the fastest bike split and about a 45 second lead.

Another quick change back to running shoes, and I was off, hoping I had enough in me to hold Alan off...

...nope. He caught me at about 1.5k and continued to run away from me... I could do nothing but try to limit the damage and fight for as many “series points” as I could (total points are based not only on finish position, but also time differential from winning time). Run 2 time: 21:56. Total time: 1:17:09. 2nd overall, 2nd age group.

So, 2 duathlons, 2 second places. And head to head, Alan and I are tied... hmmm, I may have to try and get in another race against him to break the tie!

Thanks to my sponsors for all their support: ASICS, Aerobics First and Synergy Sport.

Keeping the rubber side down...

KAS

No comments:

Post a Comment