Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Enfield 5K; Kurt Stevenson


On Saturday morning (June 5th), we headed off for my first go at the 5km distance in a few years. The race took place in Enfield, about 40km outside of the HRM. This race is part of the Run Nova Scotia Timex Series, so there were bound to be plenty of solid athletes present.

The day was warming up quickly, with very little wind and plenty of sunshine. In conjunction with the Timex race, there was also a 1.5km race for kids (wow, some of these youngsters were tiny, but awesome to see them go out and do their thing!). There was also a 10 miler for those looking to do a longer race. TNS’s own Andrew Dacanay and Ron MacDougall both did the 10miler, while Stacy Chesnutt, in training for her assault on a 10k PB in New York on 13 June and I toed the line for the 5k. Wife Rayleen (and previous tri-geek) has switched her focus back to her first love of running (her bike is in the basement collecting dust) and was also present going for the win.

The Enfield 5k is a straight out and back on the mostly flat rural roads around Enfield. Before the race, Stacy came up to me asking what my goal time was... I’ll be honest, I was not sure... with the lack of training, I was hoping to go sub 20-minutes, but by how much, I did not know. I thought mid-19's would be possible. So, we planned on running together. At 9:20, the gun sounded and we were off. Already, Stacy was about 10metres ahead of me... and the distance continued to grow... guess I wasn’t going fast enough!

I hit the first km in 3:50. Ok pace, now hold it. As I approached the turn, the leaders were all on their way back and looking relaxed (running is something we can all “do”, but those that are truly gifted runners really make it look easy and relaxed, even when they are working hard). 2.5k in 10:03. Hmm. This is going to be close if I want to be sub-20.

On the return, there was someone behind me named “Dion”. The reason I know this? Everyone still on their way out cheered for him... so, I “pretended” my name was Dion so I could get some of the love too! I passed a few more runners on the return, and eventually crossed the line in 20:03... so close! Definitely the slowest I have gone as long as I can remember... but, I am starting to feel better, and the body is aching less and less each week. At least I can get out and compete! I finished 23rd overall, and 4th in my age group.

Other TNS’ers that I saw... Shawn Amirault did the 1.5 with his little one. Stacy ran a quick race, finishing in 19:21.

Rayleen finished 3rd, collecting some much sought after points for the Timex Series. Andrew ran a very solid 10miler, finishing 5th overall. And Ron added to his total race count. Congrats to everyone!

Next up, the Greenwood Duathlon this weekend.

Thanks to my sponsors, ASICS (www.asics.com) Aerobics First (www.aerobicsfirst.com) and Synergy Sport (www.synergysport.com) .

Keeping the rubber side down...

Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment