Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Paper or Plastic?

As seemingly warm and mild as it may be, if you're out on the bike some extra toe protection than that afforded by your Sidis and your DeFeets will likely be required. Nothing can suck the fun out of a ride like cold, wet feet. Overshoes or neoprene socks are the tried and true solutions, but perhaps there's a third way.....

The TA was in a coffee shop recently having a post-run coffee (we have no truck with the theory of rehydration obviously). We won't say which one other than it was the one Dr Evil invested in several years ago. We're not saying the chain itself is evil, just an investor, and a fictional one at that! It reminds you of that saying that there are only two famous Belgians, and one of them is fictional. But wow, we really are digressing today, where were we?

Oh yes, the not-evil-at-all coffee shop. Anyway, we bumped into Tyrone "Now known for reasons of national security as" Grande and Harry Reddin, just back from a bike-ride. Like all self-respecting pieces of Victoria-era furniture, Tyrone was keeping his ankles covered lest they inflame the baser desires of the Barristas, but we were rather taken by how he was doing this ....



Yes those are bags from a local supermarket. Sobeys actually. SuperStore charges (or used to charge) 5c/bag and as was it pointed out if you can do it for free, why drop a dime on keeping your toes warm? The TA has been known to use this trick, but we use Petes Frootique bags on the off-chance they were either locally sourced, organic or British imports (reminds us of home)!

We will say this though; if you can keep the bag tucked in not only can you keep your feet warm and dry you will also keep the sleek below-the-ankle look all cyclists should aspire to! Not to mention the drag savings!

Speaking of dodgy below-the-belt attire keeping you warm on the ice, the Norwegian men's curling team trousers; yes or no?


Tell us!

AD

3 comments:

  1. A big no to the trousers.

    And having spent some time in the past with the plastic bag in my shoes trick, I have found that doing it for too long gets my feet all wet anyway.

    I opt for the MEC shoe cover http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692723&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618318

    as it not only keeps my feet dry but also keeps my shoes from getting all muddy and wet. I hate cleaning my bike shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Ian. My problem with shoe-covers is their durability; how are those MEC ones?

    I've been using toe-covers for ages (see link) They do the job very well although I will double them up with neoprene socks too. Their big plus is you can't walk through them!

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627713&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692723&bmUID=1267110972980

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those MEC shoe covers are really durable. I have had them for 2 winters now. I have tried Sugoi ones in the past and they shredded after a few weeks. The fit is okay, not perfect, as the material is quite stiff. But then it is winter and speed records aren't being broken. They are good to about -5C or so. After that I have L. Garneau Neoprene booties which, with wool socks, will take me down to -30C. The Garneau booties have a thick and durable rubber sole which has lasted me for close to4 years now. And I ride every day to work, so lots of putting my foot down at lights as I ride through the city.

    ReplyDelete