Monday, September 13, 2010

Shubie Doobie;


From Shubie Doobie RD Mark Campbell

Wow, what a week, weekend, day!

Thanks to the overwhelming response and all those that braved some challenging conditions on a pretty tough course. Putting a triathlon on inside the city limits certainly has its challenges, but it is well worth it when I can finally relax hearing that everyone has made it safe in off the bike.

There are many of you that challenged yourself with this event either for speed, placing or just to complete it. Congrats to all! So glad to see so many first timers too as they finished and are seemingly now hooked.

Barring any unforseen expenses, I will be passing a cheque for over $5700 to the Give To Live cancer cause. (www.givetolive.ca). Every year I get very humbling and amazing messages from people, many touched deeply by cancer and also support the event for that reason. It is for those moments that I am already thinking of next year.

While it seems we still learn every year and everything may not go exactly as planned, we will continue to try and improve and make this event run as well and as safe as possible. The event would not come off without generous support from sponsors. Please be sure to thank them with a little business if you possibly can : the trail shop, cyclesmith, java blend coffee, aerobics first, helly hansen, genworth financial, four points shereton, and also products from camelbak, icebreaker merino wool, new balance, salomon, and oakley.

Once again a huge thanks to the crew, the race day volunteers who graciously give up their own time, and of course my dear wife Amy, for all these 'great' ideas that we get each other into.

As we had completed the final tasks of clean-up at around 6:30pm, my final task was to paddle my kayak back home from the beach. As tired as I was, it was a quick, but very relaxing journey, where I felt a great relief of pressure. I also couldn't help thinking how lucky I am. I really can only at tribute it to luck, as I have been so very fortunate to have had so many great experiences and met people who inspire and motivate to do more.

So I must say it is I who is thankful to be able to host this event for you all, and lets do it all again next year shall we?!!

in gudhealth,

mark c.

2 comments:

  1. And it's because of your awesome spirit Mark that we are all willing to help! Kudos to you and Amy and the rest of your crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur Jen. We will always help you (Mark) because you inspire us to be our best and do our best

    ReplyDelete